The Coathangers are a feisty female three-piece from Atlanta, Georgia, who started a band for fun. Now ten years down the track, they’re still having fun, while also putting out some seriously good music. Nosebleed Weekend is their most recent album, put out under the Suicide Squeeze Records label. It includes some of my most favourite tracks of theirs like Down Down, and Watch Your Back. I love their style, their sound and their ‘tude. Hearing them lit a fire inside me.
I’ve been crushing all over these ladies since I first heard their music late last year; they were on my list of “if they pay near us while we’re in the States we’ll go see them”. Alas, they did not play near us. And then a few months ago there was news that they were going to be coming all the way to lil ol’ NZ to tour their new album! YUSSS!! I immediately made plans with one of my grungy-gig-going gal pals to go to the Auckland show; it was going to be a belated bday gift from her and everything. Then DRAMA….. I was struck with a gastro-bug and couldn’t go. I was heartbroken to say the least. Cinderella did not get to go to the ball.
However! I did still manage to interview said lady-crushes via email, and here’s what they had to say…
1) What’s the craziest/strangest thing that has happened to you at a live show?
Shows in general can get pretty wild. On separate occasions both Meredith and Julia got nosebleeds during a show, we had a small fire onstage due to some faulty lighting, we stopped shows to get physical with hecklers, we had to stop a show due to some serious medical emergencies in the audience… but one of the craziest things was when a PA speaker fell on Julia’s head in Switzerland.
2) Who are your 3 most inspirational people, and why?
Our moms are the most inspirational people because they gave birth to us and continue to put up with all of our shit. That’s true love baby and the most inspirational thing you can show someone.
3) What has been your favourite venue when touring internationally (so far), and why?
Vera and Melkweg in the Netherlands. Both venues have a really nice and professional staff, are extremely accommodating, and make every show super fun!
4) If you were faced with a group of bright-eyed young girls wanting to start a band, what three things would you tell them?
- Fake it til you make it – just create with confidence and the rest will fall into place.
- Don’t listen to others’ negative opinions – just follow your heart and trust in your vision!
- Everyone has setbacks sometimes – don’t get discouraged if something doesn’t work out exactly how you envisioned, just keep going.
5) If you could play onstage with anyone from history (dead or alive) who would it be?
It would be a festival with: Gun Club, Iggy Pop, leather Elvis, Ramones, Runaways, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Janis Joplin, Patsy Cline, Billie Holiday, Beach Boys, Madonna and Britney Spears.
6) What do you like to do in your down-time/time away from creating?
We love to hang with our loved ones and eat tacos.
I think we can all agree on that last one as a fave past-time! And jeepers is it a world of hard-knocks being in a band, or what?! Speakers falling on your head?? Yikes!
While I missed seeing these ladies do what they do best this time, here’s hoping our paths cross again in the future!
Interview made possible with help from The Label